April Audio

Please consider supporting CSN by supporting our advertisers!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Y1 w3 weekly challenge Psalm 29
Psalm 29

Give unto the Lord, O ye mighty,
Give unto the Lord glory and strength,
Give unto the Lord the glory due unto His name,
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness,

The voice of the Lord is upon the waters,
The God of glory thundereth,
The Lord is upon many waters,
The voice of the Lord is powerful,
The voice of the Lord is full of majesty,

The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars,
Yea, the Lord breaketh the cedars of Lebanon,
He maketh them also to skip like a calf,
Lebanon and Sirion like a young ox

The voice of the Lord divideth the flames of fire,
The voice of the Lord shaketh the wilderness,
The Lord shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh,

The voice of the Lord maketh the hinds to calf,
And discover the forests,
And in His temple doth everyone speak of his glory,

The Lord sitteth upon the flood
Yea, the Lord sitteth King forever and ever
The Lord will give strength unto His people,
The Lord will bless His people with peace,
His people with peace
His people with peace

The underlined words do not appeared in the King James version, ox, is unicorn. However in some translations it says ox. Unicorn did not really fit into the "Music" so I went with ox.
Here is the link to hear this sang. My mother helped me sing this one.
https://app.box.com/s/n4x5ziqw89x6g051d0ud8scwkky5a2d5

Thanks
Oh wow!  This is great Lolly, (And Lolly's mom)!!!  I love it!!!

Be sure to add a link to this thread in response to this weeks challenge to keep things connected.

I would be very interested in conversing with you on this.
But before I do:
You use the KJV version, and I notice you have an inclination in another of your posts toward the old English.  But you did seem ok to veer away to a word from another translation on "ox."  Are you, or is the congregation you fellowship with, of a KJV only persuasion?  (Does it revere the KJV above other translations?)  I want to be aware of your convictions so I can be respectful and guard your conscience. 
Sarah

Called to, "Teach the word of the Lord; sing it to the nations loud and clear."
My pastor (my dad) uses the NIV. I just like the King James translation. So its just a personal preference. I feel that as long as someone's reading a Bible, its great, it does not matter about the translation. I would love to hear what you think.
(02-29-2016, 03:43 PM)lolly101 Wrote: My pastor (my dad) uses the NIV. I just like the King James translation. So its just a personal preference. I feel that as long as someone's reading a Bible, its great, it does not matter about the translation. I would love to hear what you think.

Ok, well, I just think that if you were willing and able to pick and chose the most musical rendition from several versions on not just that one line, but any line, then you might be pleased to find you could develop an even smoother lyric.  For example, where one version might say "upon" another might say "over."  These two word intrinsically are accentuated on opposite syllables.  
"The voice of the LORD is over many waters" vs
"The voice of the LORD is upon the waters."

What then if you merged the two to get a perfect double un-stressed between each stress:
da dum, da da dum, da da dum, dum da
The voice of the LORD is upon many waters

In many cases with this Psalm, you will find that the KJV serves musicality best.  But in other cases, some of the others versions might ease up the lyrics a bit.  For example,
The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire  (KJV)
The voice of the LORD divides the flames of fire.  (NKJV)

and
and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory. (KJV)
And in His temple everyone says, "Glory!"  (NKJV)

and
The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, (KJV)
The LORD sat enthroned at the Flood, (NKJV)

I only reflected on one other translation; there are so many out there.  Most are pretty much the same, but one word choice or slight variation can make a big difference.  So, especially in those lines that you feel are a bit more tricky, you could investigate other translations.  A great way to do this is on one of the online Bible sites like Bible Gateway, where with a click on a different version at the top you have access to so many translations!  Just some food for thought.
Sarah

Sarah, I always read your critiques so I can learn about stresses. Why didn't the word "many" have a stress in it?
(03-02-2016, 03:03 PM)david darnell Wrote: Sarah, I always read your critiques so I can learn about stresses.  Why didn't the word "many" have a stress in it?

That is an excellent question.  It depends on artistic expression--how it is read/sung/expressed and it could be expressed very well either way depending on how the rest of the rhythms in the song take shape.  Thanks for pointing that out!